Monday, August 1, 2011

37. Michigan

    After landing in Flint and renting the car we drove the 20 miles to Birch Run to have lunch at Tony's I-75 Restaurant. I had heard about this place and the amount of food they serve and wanted to see for myself. I was afraid we'd have to wait but on this particular day we were seated right away. The menu looks like a newspaper complete with pictures and facts about Tony's. I was astonished to read that they use 11,000 pounds of bacon a week and give away 900 pounds of candy in a week. How can that be? It seems like an awful lot. Most people were still eating breakfast but we watched as our server took a sandwich to another table. It looked so good we had to ask what it was. It was a Tony's submarine. The sandwich was quite large, hence the clue "battleship size" adjacent to the name on the menu, so we had decided to spilt it and order a side of fries with gravy. The gravy for the fries was a thick, beefy gravy that was so good we could have eaten just the gravy with a spoon. Yum, Yum. We watched as a little elderly lady was served a turkey club sandwich that was as big as she was. The club was piled high with bacon. There was absolutely no way to bite into it. She graciously allowed me to photograph it.
Our sub soon arrived and we weren't disappointed. It was full of ham, salami, cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes. Despite the battleship size we were able to devour it. While we were eating, the table next to us received their BLT sandwich. Now I know how they serve 11,000 pounds of bacon a week. This sandwich had a pound of bacon on it. I think the girl was in shock when they sat the plate in front of her. All she could do was laugh and take a picture.


   From what I understand, their banana splits are also enormous. If it had been later in the afternoon and I could find someone to eat it, I might have paid for one just to see it with my own eyes. When we received the check we found out how they give away 900 pounds of candy in a week. The check comes with a mound of candy. I’m not talking about 1 or 2 pieces, I’m talking about a couple of handfuls. We weren’t going to take it all but our server was adamant. He didn’t want to have to pick them all up. Need a peppermint? I probably still have some in my purse.

No comments:

Post a Comment