Saturday, July 16, 2011

31. Colorado

     We arrived back into Colorado later then we had planned but watching the sunset in Wyoming was worth it. The original restaurant we had planned on eating closes at 10pm and it would be cutting it too close to try to make it. I had read about these large cinnamon rolls in Loveland, Colorado at a truck stop and thought they would be open. I called to make sure and they were. I had hoped to order the fried chicken and it must be good because they were sold out. I ended up with the fried fish dinner and Dennis had the chicken fried steak. Both were good but we were waiting to try their “World Famous Cinnamon Roll”.  The cinnamon roll was as large as the plate and smothered in icing. It was served warm with a side of butter but with that much icing who needs butter. That didn’t stop us from trying it both ways though. After getting our sugar fix we continued on to Denver to find our hotel. Dennis and I both know when we’re tired and it was apparent by our tone of voice that we needed to find the hotel and get a decent night’s sleep.  
     We woke up refreshed and were ready to head towards the Rocky Mountains. We drove towards Idaho Springs, a mining town, just west of Denver. It was just breathtaking to see the snow-topped Rockies in the distance. Clear Creek runs through Idaho Springs and if whitewater rafting is your thing, this might be one stop on your journey. I wish we had the time to try it out.
     On our way to Idaho Springs we drove past some bison on the other side of the highway so when we drove back I had to stop for more pictures. I must have some sort of fascination with the American buffalo because I can’t seem to get enough pictures. We drove up to Lookout Mountain for another breathtaking view. What a splendid way to end this leg of the journey.
    Oh wait, there’s more. We had plenty of time at the Denver airport to get a bite to eat. I know, I originally made some sort of comment about airport food but we splurged and sat down at Denver ChopHouse. I ate the most delicious buffalo burger and Dennis ate the honey chicken sandwich.  
    Leg 11
     4 days
     3 flights
     1052 miles driven
                                          = 4 states visited
                                     19 states to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment